What does gospel-driven fellowship look like?
A. It has gospel roots.
Because of God’s grace, and by the Holy Spirit and through faith, we are united to Jesus Christ.
By virtue of our union with Jesus Christ, we are also united to everyone else who is united to Christ.
Accordingly, in the Lord, we are members of one another (Rom 12:5; Eph 4:25; 1 Cor 12:12-27)
B. It bears gospel fruit.
Our Lord commands us to act like what we are. This means that each one of us is to act this way in relation to each other one of us in the congregation. How?
- Be devoted to one another (Rom 12:10)
- Honour one another (Rom 12:10)
- Live in harmony with one another (Rom 12:16; cf. Phil 2:2)
- Do not pass judgement on one another (Rom 14:13)
- Welcome and accept one another (Rom 15:7)
- Teach and admonish one another (Rom 15:14; Col 3:16)
- Greet one another (Rom 16:16; 1 Cor 16:20)
- Serve one another in love (Gal 5:13; 1 Pet 4:10)
- Do not bite and devour one another (Gal 5:15)
- Do not provoke one another (Gal 5:26)
- Do not envy one another (Gal 5:26)
- Bear one another’s burdens (Gal 6:2)
- Bear with one another in love (Eph 4:2; Col 3:13)
- Be kind and tenderhearted to one another (Eph 4:32)
- Keep forgiving one another (Eph 4:32; Col 3:13)
- Submit to one another out of reverence to Christ (Eph 5:21)
- Do not look only to your own interests, but also to the interests of one another (Phil 3:4)
- Actively communicate truthfully with one another; do not lie to one another (Col 3:9)
- Comfort one another (1 Thess 4:18)
- Encourage one another (1 Thess 5:11; Heb 3:13; 10:25)
- Build up one another (1 Thess 5:11)
- Stir up one another to love and good works (Heb 10:24)
- Do not speak evil or grumble against one another (Jas 4:11; 5:9)
- Confess your sins to one another (Jas 5:16)
- Pray for one another (Jas 5:16)
- Show hospitality to one another (1 Pet 4:9)
- Be humble towards one another (Phil 2:3; 1 Pet 5:5)
In a nutshell, LOVE ONE ANOTHER AS CHRIST LOVES YOU (Jn 13:34, 35; 15:12, 17; 1 Thess. 4:9; 1 Pet 1:22; 1 Jn 3:11, 23, 4:7, 11, 12)